Welcome to My Blog!

Being a teacher is full of ups, downs, and in betweens. I love the look on a students face when they learn how to read. I love when students can solve problems on their own. I absolutely love when students feel proud of their work, and want to share it with the class. This blog is going to be full of moments in the classroom, pictures, and sometimes videos. Take everything with a grain of salt, as it is my opinion & reflections.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Blog Archive


FYI:

All parents have given permission for their child to be on this website.
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 9, 2011

In Honor of 9-11

Well, to tell a bunch of students, who were not even born yet, all about 9-11, was quite challenging. They were sad, yet very curious.Their innocence about the topic was almost refreshing. I sensitively read different picture books about the day, and then we talked about feelings, and how it might have been very scary for 1st graders in NYC. We also talked about how fortunate we are to live in America, where we are free. It was a very intriguing day for the students, learning about that day, and why we call it Patriot Day.

I had one student tell me with such pride, “my Mommy and Daddy, they were both Marines and they fought for our country!” That made me so happy to see her so proud of her parents, and their very brave and courageous dedication to our Armed Forces.

My Favorite Book about 9-11 that 1st grade students wrote about the day after 9-11:


We also made a chart displaying our feelings about 9/11 to hang in the hallway:

 
Grand Ole Flag
We made flags, with a poem, which we will send home after they are displayed in the hall for a little while!

Hallway of Heroes
We also talked about HEROES in our community, and how HEROES played a big part on that horrible day. I asked the students to think about HEROES in their life, and then we will illustrate/write about our personal HEROES and display them in the hallway.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!








1 comment:

  1. I just want to say thank you for talking to our kids about this and how important it is for them to be proud of their country. I love the blog, thank you for taking so much of your own time to do this and share your classroom with us :)

    ReplyDelete